We invited some friends over for a casual Cinco de Mayo party last weekend and we had a blast catching up with our friends and letting the kids have fun. We kept the food simple, so we could have more time to enjoy our Queso Fundido and Margaritas. (Which we greatly enjoyed, by the way.) We put the kids to work making their own dessert, Ice Cream Banditos, which was a huge hit! I mean “un exito bien grande!” So, I wanted to share how to make this fun treat.
These ice cream banditos are easy, tasty, and they kept the kids occupied. They’re perfect for a Cinco de Mayo party, Mexican Fiesta or just summer day dessert. All you need is ice cream, tootsie rolls, M&Ms, marshmallows and edible markers. It was a blast to make.
- Jumbo size marshmallows
- Regular size marshmallows
- Edible food markers – I bought mine online from Foodoodler
- Tootsie rolls – we used the size up from midges to make a larger mustache
- Vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt
- Optional Waffle bowls – if you want to keep the calories down, just use a small bowl for the ice cream
1. Cut a jumbo size marshmallow into three circles to serve as the bottom of the hat.
2. Cut a regular size marshmallow in half width-wise for the top of the hat. You can use the whole marshmallow but then it gets kind of tall and you need two “sticky” ends to keep your hat together.
3. Stick the two “sticky” or cut ends of a jumbo marshmallow circle and a half of the regular marshmallow to make your hat shape.
4. Now, use the edible markers to decorate your hat. The more colorful the better.
1. Microwave a tootsie roll on high for 15 seconds.
2. Now that it is soft, bend it into your mustache shape.
3. Let it cool and reharden for a minute.
1. Put a large scoop of vanilla ice cream in your waffle bowl.
2. Add M&Ms for the eyes.
3. Apply your mustache
4. Put a hat on it.
The girls gave their banditos more of a handlebar mustache but they still look super cute. If you make one, please upload a photo on our Facebook Fan page. I’d love to see your creations!
No Comments - Leave a comment
No comments yet.