Traveling with the family is all about fun – having adventures and creating memories. Our favorite part of vacations were the excitement building up to the trip and then remembering the good times afterwards. So, don’t forget to get your kids excited about the adventure. Family vacations can provide fun before, during and after the trip itself. With a little planning, turn your family vacation into a lifelong memory.
Here are some ideas on how to “amp up” the fun.
- Get the kids excited about the destination: read books about where you are going or what you’ll see, cook a special meal that’s typical of where you are traveling.
- Create a countdown calendar. X off the days or “sleeps” before the trip to build anticipation.
- Draw your route on a road map and let the kids color in the route.
Road Trip Games:
- Take advantage of the time you have together to talk and learn more about each other with conversation games like the Box Girl’s Road Trip Box of Questions.
- Print a black and white map of the United States. Play license plate bingo and have the kids color in the states as they see them.
- Collect quarters from all 50 states. Play license plate bingo and give your child the quarter from that state when they see the license plate.
Audio Books/ CDs:
- Go to the library and get some of your kids’ favorite books in audio tape version.
Some of our favorites for older kids are:
o The Invention of Hugo Cabret – Brian Selznick
o Chet Gecko Private Eye – Bruce Hale
o Judy Moody – Megan McDonald
o Any Bill Harley story CD
For younger kids, we recommend trying www.storynory.com to download stories.
Finally, don’t forget to help the kids create a Scrapbook or Travel Journal to remember the fun times on your trip. Work on it together for some quality time spent remembering the highlights.