Now that the Holiday Season and all of its festivities are over, we’ve got weeks of long, dark winter nights to look forward to. Sometimes I get depressed thinking about the cold weather forcing us to mostly stay indoors, especially on our weekly Family Nights. However, that’s when I’m forced to get creative and come up with some fun ideas to have lots of indoor fun.
Here are 6 of my favorite Winter Family Night Activities that will make you look like the most fun Mom on the block. Click on the links for more tips and advice on how to pull off some major fun at home the next few weekends.
1. Indoor Snowball Fight – Too cold outside for a real snowball fight? Create “snowball” ammunition out of white tissue paper, cotton balls wrapped with saran wrap, or large marshmallows. Give each “team” an equal amount. Then fight it out in the basement or other kid-friendly area of the house. Build some forts out of boxes or blankets while you are at it to protect yourself. Of course, if it’s not too cold out you can do this outside with real snowballs. A reader over at SavvyMom.ca shared her idea to keep the snowball fights safe. They make chalk drawings of each other on their fence and throw the snowballs at the drawings. No one accidentally gets hurt then. Genius!
2. Spa Night – A little pampering makes everyone smile – even Dad! Candles, aromatherapy and soothing music. I can’t think of a better way to relax after a rough week at work (and school).
3. Homemade Pizza Party – Don’t just order pizza in on Family Night, throw a pizza party! Click for our family favorite pizza recipe. It’s not that hard to make and you’ll really enjoy the time talking together in the kitchen.
4. Family Slumber Party – Why do the kids get to have all the fun? Shadow puppets, truth or dare games, toaster oven s’mores and sleeping bags in front of the TV sounds like a fun night to me.
5. Game Night Tournament- Grab those new games you got as Holiday Gifts or raid your closet for forgotten board games and then let the competition begin.
6. Have a Thumb War – A craft and game you can do together that’s super fun for both parents and kids? Making thumb wrestlers and then having a thumb war of parents against kids or girls against boys is sure to have everyone giggling.
Most importantly, these creative ideas are easy, use items you already have around the house, and don’t take a lot of planning for busy parents. So, have fun on Family Night this winter!
What are some easy but fun things you like to do with the kids when you are forced to stay in on Family Night?