The Chicagoland area has some wonderful family-oriented activities to help you celebrate the Holidays and have fun together. Here are a few well-known and lesser-known local Holiday favorites that my family loves to do. Many of these have become Holiday Traditions that our kids look forward to every year.
- Wonderland Express – Holiday Train Exhibit at Botanical Gardens
- Zoo Lights at Brookfield Zoo
- Christmas Tree/ Exhibit at John Hancock Building – Christmas tree is beautiful, the train exhibit inside is delightful for kids, and get a free photo with Santa every weekend from 12 – 4 p.m.
- Drive around the neighborhoods and see the lights or see the Winter Wonderland Holiday Light Show at the Cuneo Museum – perfect for little kids who can’t walk far or for those nights when it is absolutely freezing
Kids Aged 6 and up
- Christkindlmarket in Daley Plaza – This is my family’s favorite thing to do every Christmas. We have been 3 times already this year.
- Christmas Around the World at the Museum of Science & Industry – While the exhibit is nice and has a lot of great history, I would go see the Jim Henson exhibit before it closes and then also check out the decorated Christmas trees. The Gingerbread Museum in the lobby is AWESOME!
- Christmas Carol at the Goodman Theater or Joffrey Ballet Nutcracker - we alternate these two shows every year. This year we hit the Christmas Carol. The stage and the special effects were incredible. My kids loved it.
- Nutcracker Tea at Seasons of Long Grove
- Ice Skating Millenium Park – Rockerfeller Plaza doesn’t have the mighty Bean behind it, now does it? Friday nights in December there is caroling in front of the Cloudgate sculpture (aka the Bean) at 6 p.m. Haven’t gone yet but I’m sure the photo ops are incredible.
- Carriage ride on Michigan Avenue – Grab yours by the Water Tower
- on Michigan Avenue
- Shop windows at Macy’s on State Street, see the beautiful, decorated Christmas trees at Water Tower Place, 900 North Mall or NorthBridge
– We go every year. It’s amazing. This year it is scheduled for tonight at 5 p.m. Save us a seat, we’ll see you there.
No matter what you decide to do this year, create some memories and have some Happy Holiday Fun with your family!