Today, March 2nd, would have been Dr. Seuss’ birthday and it’s got me in a Seussical mood. Can you believe that 107 years ago, Theodore Geisel changed the world by teaching children to read, and enjoy it, when he introduced “The Cat in the Hat.” Since he is a HERO of mine, I want to do something fun and silly with the kids tomorrow since we have read and LOVED so many of his books. To keep his memory alive and have fun with the kids, here are 6 ideas I came up with for a Dr. Seuss Celebration.
1. Read and Explore. Dr. Seuss wrote more than 40 books, so pick your favorites or pick one you haven’t read yet and spend some time in the wacky world he created. My favorites are The Lorax, Green Eggs and Ham, Fox in Sox, and One Fish, Two Fish. If you don’t have any of your own Dr. Seuss books, no problem, just grab some at the library!
2. Download an App. Are your kids too into technology to read a book made of …gasp, paper? Check out Oceanhouse Media’s interactive Dr. Seuss ebooks, apps and games. While I love books and encourage my kids to read all the time, Dr. Seuss stories just beg to be animated and enhanced which is why I love these interactive stories. I download a few to my Smartpphone and I’ve got entertainment for the kids anytime we are waiting in a restaurant or doctor’s office. Oceanhouse Media is having their annual Dr. Seuss Sale starting today. Download some of their ebooks and games onto your smartphone or ebook reader. Sale runs from March 1st – March 7th, 2013. We bought The Lorax ebook during their sale last year and my daughter reads it all the time on my Nook. I think this year we’ll grab Dr. Seuss ABC’s. Even though my kids are older, they love seeing how they animate and bring the Seuss drawings to life.
3. Plan a Seussical Breakfast. I love cooking with my kids and it’s very easy to entice them into the kitchen to make some Seussical snacks and treats. It’s silly creativity in the kitchen! The Kitchen Fun with my 3 Sons created an adorable and easy Dr. Seuss Cat in the Hat Fruit Pops. This Dr. Seuss breakfast from the Make Myself at Home blog looks delish! If you are having more of a brunch, try your hand at creating The Lorax Babybel Cheese dish. Finally, how can you go wrong with Green Eggs and Ham?
4. Take a Trip to Seussville. This fun website is dedicated to all things Seuss. You and your kids can play games, meet the wacky characters and learn more about the author.
5. Plan a Silly Photo Shoot. There are so many incredibly cute photo booth and photo prop ideas available to take some adorably cute pictures of your kids … (or Mom and Dad. I think my husband would look smashing with a Lorax mustache). Here’s some inspiration for a Dr. Seuss photo booth backdrop and props. You can buy these adorable Dr. Seuss Photo Props as well. You can make these Lorax Mustache Straws for some silly photos as well.
6. Get Crafty like a Fox. There are so many cute Dr. Seuss inspired crafts out there that it was hard to choose just a few. But the Danielle’s Place blog has some cute Lorax crafts that are super easy for kids to make. I love Apples and ABC’s Truffula Trees art. Finally, this Fox in Sox paper bag hand puppet from Vanessa’s Blog would be perfect to make and then read the book out loud with your kids. – See more at: http://www.ptpamedia.com/blog/index.php/2013/03/01/4-fun-ideas-for-a-dr-seuss-celebration/#sthash.3DlOYLZG.dpuf
Which is your favorite Dr. Seuss character or book?
Want some more inspiration? Read my post on Fun Ways to Celebrate Dr. Seuss’ Birthday. Are you on Pinterest? Follow my Dr. Seuss Board on Pinterest to find a lot more craft and recipe ideas to help celebrate Dr. Seuss’ birthday. I’m amassing quite the collection.
- See more at: http://www.ptpamedia.com/blog/index.php/2013/03/01/4-fun-ideas-for-a-dr-seuss-celebration/#sthash.xcvQNCd8.dpuf
No Comments - Leave a comment
No comments yet.