Every year, the night before school starts, my kids and I pick out their first day of school outfit so they can start the new school year off right. When they were little I got to pick the outfit and of course I made them look super cute (in my opinion). Once they hit second grade though, I quickly learned to keep my mouth shut on what I thought was the best outfit. They hated anything I recommended. “Really, Mom? A skirt!?!”
But for all of the work we put into buying and choosing the first day of school outfit, I soon came to realize that I didn’t put any time and thought into the PHOTO to capture the moment. I usually scrambled to try and get them to pose in front of the door as we were running out the door. Or, I tried to get all the kids to line up in front of the bus while the bus driver impatiently glared at me. Boring! As you can see in my example. So, this year I wanted to plan ahead and creatively capture the moment. I wish I had done some of these when they first started school, but it’s never too late. Here are some creative, unique photo ideas to remember your child on their first day of school.
1. Chalk isn’t just for chalkboards. I love this idea from Kim at TheCelebrationShoppe.com where she writes the grade on the driveway with chalk and then photographs her child from above standing next to it. Click over and see how easy and yet impactful this photo can be. She also has some wonderful Back-to-School printables on her site so definitely check out her site.
2. A Cookie of a Tradition. This idea combines a photo idea and a back-to-school tradition that I’m sure your kids will love. At HowDoesShe.com you’ll find a recipe for a giant chocolate chip cookie that a Mom made for her kids every year. She used frosting to write the grade and year on the cookie and it was a special treat for the kids when they got home from their first day of school. However, it’s also a great photo opportunity to show your child holding the cookie with their grade and date in the photo.
3. Hanging on to Kindergarten. As a fun way to show how much your child has grown, when you take their picture this year, have them hold a framed photo of their first day of kindergarten. It’s funny to see how cute and young they looked when they started kindergarten and how much they have grown since then. Or to show year-to-year growth, have them hold a framed photo of last year’s first day of school photo.
4. Giving Props to Good Photos. TheLittleStyleFile.com has some adorable photo ideas for capturing your kids on the first day of school. I really like KJaneDesign.com’s idea of using shiny, red apples piled up in front of your child. The number of apples equals the grade number.
5. Put a frame on it. I like the Back-to-School frame that Crissy’s Crafts created for her child. It’s easy, you can spend time crafting it with your child, and it’s a wonderful prop for your first day of school photo. A winner!
If you need first day of school printable photo props, Spoonful.com has rounded up 12 cute options. Best yet, they are free!
Finally, for a little humor, I found this photo on Pinterest and loved it. Definitely add a photo of Mom and Dad on the first day of school to your photo albums.
Do you take first day of school photos every year? Any other creative ideas you’d like to share? I’d love to see them!
No Comments - Leave a comment
No comments yet.